I just asked Sadashi if I could tell him about the idea even though it wasn't fully formed. He didn't let me. He said that I shouldn't let my unformed idea be influenced by anything but myself right now. He told me that when he was younger he used to go to coffeeshops with a group of artist friends. They would share ideas over coffee for hours, and feel so excited and optimistic because they believed in their ideas and had the external support to keep them confident. But then he would leave and go back to his studio and not want to act on those ideas and make art, because the ideas had already lived their lives. They had been exhausted and they could no longer be used.
Nothing like a poignant piece of advice to turn your day around.
I am learning, I am learning, I am learning
I am learning, I am learning, I am learning
I love Sadashi so much. This is such good advice.
ReplyDeleteAlso, yay new ideas!
-lyz